If you have been a Samsung Android User from a long time, then you might know that you have to use a software named Odin to flash anything on your device. Unlike Nexus, Motorola and other manufacturers who use traditional ADB & Fastboot to flash images, this is something different. So let’s see how you can flash CWM recovery with Odin on Samsung Devices.
PS: CWM is an abbreviation for ClockWorkMod. Also, this method can also be used to flash other recoveries like TWRP, Philz, and others considering that you have appropriate files for flashing. There is a vshare app, you might want to check it out.
Table of Contents
What is Odin?
Odin is the flash tool used to flash especially Samsung devices. It is rumored to be leaked by the Samsung itself. From that onwards, there are lots of online community support which has kept it going for so many years. However, it is only supported on Windows and if you are a Linux or MAC OS then you can use the alternative called Heimdall.
There are several things that you can do with Odin such as flashing stock ROM, custom ROM, recovery file, kernel, root your Samsung device and much more.
What are you using Samsung Odin for? Let us know in the comment section below.
Here are the main features that CWM Recovery provides as compared to Stock Recovery:
- Install Custom ROM using ZIP
- Nandroid backup to completely backup and restore device with the exact same state
- ADB Sideload
- Factory Reset without wiping out the Internal Memory of the device
Probably after reading this article, you might also want to root your Samsung device. So make sure to read Why to Root Android Device?
- Recovery package. (You can find it on XDA-Developers. If not then let us know in comment section)
- Samsung device drivers.
- USB Cable.
- Windows PC/Laptop.
- An Android device.
Before proceeding, we would recommend you to Backup your Android Device in case anything goes wrong. This will help you prevent any data loss. Let’s hope everything works out fine.
Steps to flash CWM Recovery with Odin
Warning: This can potentially brick your device and make it unusable. So follow the instructions carefully. Neither anyone except you is responsible for any damage done to your device. This will also void your warranty so read the warranty statement carefully if you’re not sure.
- Download and install drivers for your device from the link given above.
- Download recovery package and Odin.
- Extract Odin package.
- Run Odin executable(exe) file as administrator(Important).
- Uncheck all option except Auto Reboot.
- Enable OEM Unlock (Only for Applicable Devices)
i) Go to Settings >> About and tap Build Number seven times and you will see a popup saying developer options are now enabled.
ii) Now go to Settings >> Developer Options.
iii) Toggle on the Enable OEM Unlock option if available.
- Nowadays devices come with a bootloader so that you cannot flash anything other than official files to your device. If this is the case then you will have to first unlock your device bootloader.
- Power off your device. Hold volume down + home button + power button. You will see a warning screen. Press volume up to continue. (There may be a different combination to boot your device. Let us know if this doesn’t work.)
- Click on PDA and choose the file in the extracted folder.
- Connect your device to your computer and press start.
- You will see pass message after flashing that file successfully.
You have successfully installed CWM Recovery by Odin on your Samsung Device. Now to boot into the recovery mode you will need to power off your android device and hold volume up + home button + power button. You will boot into the recovery mode right away!
Protect Your Online Privacy With Surfshark
[The VPN that we use here at Tech Arrival]
We are sure that this tutorial has helped you in installing cwm recovery using Odin on your Samsung device. If you have encountered any problem or have any issue, do let us know using the comment section below. Don’t forget to share this article and subscribe to our newsletters to keep updated with the latest things going down in the tech world.
There is no “PDA” in your screenshots… Is it “BL” “AP” “CP” or “CSC” or what??
You can use the AP instead of PDA. Source: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2729699
Wow! Great article! Very informative and helpful.
there is no custom recovery or root info about SM-A920F
Many are saying that they rooted successfully using Magisk. Officially TWRP is not available. So I will suggest you not to do anything right now. Just wait until the TWRP is released. I hope it gets released soon. Don’t higher your expectation though! :(
Hi! I tryed to find CWM for my note 4 (910c) but no success… I’m having trouble with “E: failed to mount /efs (Invalid argument)
Have you tried the recoveries available on XDA?
how can I download clockwordmod recovery? I have this super old samsung tablet (galaxy tab 2 gt-p3113 lol ) and I really wand a lineage on it. I have a windows 7 so thats a trouble too.. I have downloaded twrp md5 file and tried to root but it showed “please wait” and then the window stopped responding.. so I tried to do it with cwm recovery but I cannot find how to download it (i also rooted without twrp and it passed but when i checked the root checker it showed that your device is not rooted) please help I really want to do something this tablet :(
Also, I have been browsing the internet for hours now but no result
please reply as soon as you can
Have you tried finding it on XDA Developers Forum? If not try it first!